- February 2013
- Posted By JohnnyG
- 1 Comments
The English language might be the number one spoken language of the world in terms of diversity. But it should be noted that the language consists of numerous words which are borrowed from other languages. This is a fact that most Americans do not know. One of those languages which contributed a lot to the English language is the Russian language. There are a number of Russian words which a lot of Americans use. Here are some examples of Russian words which Americans commonly use.
- Babushka – The babushka is a unique type of headdress. It is basically a huge scarf which are placed over the head and then tied under the chin. Russians use the babushka to protect their heads from the cold.
- Duma – When Americans use the word duma, they usually refer to a legislative body. But the word duma actually refers to the legislative body governing Russia after 1991. It is somewhat inaccurate to use the word, duma, when referring to the US legislative body.
- Mammoth – Animal lovers, scientists, and historians should know that the word, mammoth, is of Russian origin. Mammoths used to roam the earth but they became extinct due to climate change and hunting.
- Vodka – Russians are very famous for their Vodka. A lot of people love this very strong type of liquor. It is so strong because it is 40 percent alcohol. Russians are so used to drinking vodka that most of them do not get drunk as easily as Americans do.
- Sputnik – When Americans use the word, sputnik, they usually refer to a companion or a friend. But in Russia, sputnik, means traveling companion. The word has been popularized because it has been to refer to the satellites which have been launched by the Soviet Union into space.
- Menshevik/Bolshevik – These are two different political groups which emerged in Russia before the Soviet Union started. The two groups promote Communist ideologies but they also vary in some principles. The history of these two political groups is usually taught in high school, and that is why American high school students should know about them.
Russian is one of the major languages in the world in terms of the number of speakers. There are so many Russian speakers out there. People who have put up their own websites might want to consider paying for Russian translation service so that their websites could be enjoyed by Russians.